Friday, February 4, 2022

Movie-Minari shows Korean feelings for grandparents

 

Youn Yuh-jung

Minari is a movie about a Korean-American family. They move to an Arkansas farm in search of their own American Dream. Amidst the challenges of this new life in the strange and rugged Ozarks, they find the undeniable resilience of family and what really makes a home.

Youn Yuh-jung, who plays the grandmother in the movie, said in an interview.


Q: What personal experiences did you use to build her character?

Youn said:

“I’m sure it just comes from the heart with my experience, but I was not thinking I’m a grandmother or something like that. I thought about my great-grandmother. She passed away when I was 9 or 10, I’m not sure, and I didn’t like her. So, I really thought about her during that time. I felt really guilty and thought, Stupid me. I didn’t like her because she wasn’t hygienic. If I’m talking about my great-grandmother, it’s breaking my heart.”

What is Korean feelings for grandmothers?

Youn Yuh-jung (born in 1947) says that she actually has few memories of living with her grandmother. However, Youn Yuh-jung started acting in 1966, when Koreans formed modern feelings for grandmothers, so she understands Koreans’ feelings for grandparents better than anyone else.

Currently, Korean feelings for grandmothers and grandfathers mainly appeared when Korea achieved rapid economic growth after the Korean War (1950-1953).

As urbanization progressed rapidly due to economic development and agricultural technology developed, surplus human resources in rural areas moved to cities, searching for better jobs.

In this process, children of people who do not have a living base in the city lived with grandmothers and grandfathers in the countryside.

These children have grown up and are leading modern Korean society, and these people are shaping the modern Korean feelings for grandmothers and grandfathers.

In order to help you understand, here are two films that nicely capture the Korean feelings for grandmothers and grandfathers.


1. The Way Home

The way Home
Seven-year-old Sang-woo is left with his grandmother in a remote village while his mother looks for work. Born and raised in the city, Sang-woo quickly comes into conflict with his old-fashioned grandmother and his new rural surroundings.

Disrespectful and selfish, Sang-woo lashes out in anger, perceiving that he has been abandoned.

He trades his grandmother’s only treasure for a video game; he throws his food and he throws tantrums. When Sang-woo’s mother finds work and finally returns for him, Sang-woo has become a different boy.

Through his grandmother’s boundless patience and devotion, he learns to embrace empathy, humility and the importance of family. (IMDB Summary)

2. Miss Granny

Miss Granny
Comedy, Fantasy, Music

A 74-year-old widow realizes she is becoming a burden on her family. She mysteriously regains her physical appearance from the age of 20.






-The End-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most viewed posts last month.